Interlibrary Loan Services
Interlibrary loan (ILL) is a free cooperative service between libraries that provides all current SNHU students, staff, faculty, and emeritus faculty access to articles, books, and other materials not available through Shapiro Library.
How Do I Request Resources Through Interlibrary Loan?
- Log in to mySNHU and navigate to the Shapiro Library homepage.
- Select Interlibrary Loan from the left-hand menu.
- You’re now logged in to your interlibrary loan (ILL) user portal. You should see "Account Details – (your first name)" at the top of the page.
- Click the "Create Request" button in the top-left corner of your ILL user portal.
- You have three request options: "Article or Chapter", "Book", and "Other". Select the most appropriate template and fill in all required information. Accurate and complete citation information helps ILL staff fill your request faster.
- Click “Submit Request,” and the ILL staff will take it from there. You’ll receive a New Request Acknowledged email confirming your new request within a few minutes.
- You will receive an email notification when your requested items are available. Articles/chapters are delivery electronically via email, and book/media requests are delivered to the location you specify.
- You can also access your requested items through the ILL portal once they become available. Do this by going to the Shapiro Library homepage and clicking on the Interlibrary Loan portal link to see if your item has become available.
NOTE: Please check your SNHU email at least daily until you receive your copy request or your loan request is returned. We may need to contact you for clarification or updates about your request. If you do not receive any notifications from us, please contact us at email@example.com to let us know since you should receive at least one email notifying you that we have received your ILL request.
What Can I Request Through Interlibrary Loan?
The three request forms available to users are:
- Complete Book
- Journal Article or Book Chapter
- Other (which allows you to request material from a variety of formats)
NOTE: Please select the appropriate request form so we can ensure we are acquiring the correct resource for you.
What CANNOT be Requested Through Interlibrary Loan?
The Library does NOT fill requests for textbooks or required course texts. Please contact the Campus Store This link opens in a new window to obtain these materials in print or electronic format.
The following materials are usually not available through interlibrary loan:
- reference books - encyclopedias, thesaurus, etc.
- tests (PsycTESTS)
- dissertations and theses
- rare or valuable materials such as manuscripts
- bound periodical volumes
- printed newspapers (sometimes scans are available)
- materials on reserve
- group use materials